Monday, June 6, 2016

GTD 2016 - Day 11

When I got home last night there was talk of a tropical storm that would affect the coast the next day.  I was praying that that wasn't so.  Celeste said that the weather at Cocoa Beach was fine but there was the talk of the tropical storm bringing some rain.

I set out on the all too familiar route.  First Orange Heights then Melrose then Putnam Hall....  The route runs through Palatka and over the St. Johns River Bridge.  After that there is a trail that runs along 207 through Hastings to 206.  There are lots of fields along 207, some of our English Corner students have farmed those fields.  206 is not so exciting until you see I-95, it's then that you know you are closing in on A1A.

As I approached A1A the sky didn't look so good.  I was praying that the rain would hold off or miss me altogether.  It didn't!  It actually came with a fury.  Strong rain and strong wind.  I pulled over to seek shelter at a small pavilion outside of a subdivision, it shielded me from the rain for the most part. There was a bit of lightening so I wasn't going anywhere until it subsided.

After about 25 minutes the lightening had stopped and the rain let up some so I decided to continue on.  It wasn't long before a heavy rain and strong wind started back up, no lightening though!

I pushed on to Flagler Beach where I stopped at a convenience store.  The conditions were so bad I decided to call my friend Greg to see if he could come get me.  Unfortunately he was not able to at that time.  I saw a mom & pop hotel across from the store, I thought about checking in there.  Just before heading there a man who stopped at the store saw my Gator jersey and inquired about my situation.  I told him my predicament and he said, wait a minute and drove away.

A few minutes later he returned in a different vehicle and said, "we Gators got to stick together, I'll take you to your friends house".  Hallelujah!  I called Greg and let him know I was on my way.

I had an awesome warm shower, dinner and time of visitation before calling it a night.  Before sleep I talked with Celeste regarding tomorrow's final day of riding, she informed me that the Youth Director and youth group at a local Christian Church wanted to welcome me to Cocoa Beach as I finished up GTD 2016, cool heh!

I am looking forward to finishing up and spending some days at Cocoa Beach relaxing and celebrating Celeste's birthday.