Monday, May 12, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 9


Lynxville, WI to Dubuque, IA

I was excited that the rain had stopped and I could pack up with out getting drenched.  I had to strategically place some items on my bags and trailer in hopes they would dry out.

After being on the road for a short bit the rain returned and it brought lightening and thunder with it.  I found a small business that provided shelter under their overhang.  They weren't open yet so no human interaction.

After about 10-15 minutes it seemed as though the lightening had stopped so I set out again.  The rest of the day was off and on rain so I fell way behind on my daily schedule.  A great surprise was that a friend of mine saw that I was going to stop in Dubuque for the night so they contacted a church family they knew and asked if they would like to host me for the night.  They said yes!

Mid day I didn't know how much of a blessing that would be, I figured that out late afternoon when I just couldn't seem to get to Dubuque.  I called the family and told them of my dilemma and they said "no problem, we will come pick you up".  I told them about the extent of my rig and they said, "no problem, we have a van that your rig will easily fit in".  WOW, what a blessing!

I had a great dinner and night with the family.  Their son was a big Badger fan as well as Green Bay Packers so his room was decked out in Badger and Packer items, it was cool.

I got a great night's rest and made contact with Mama C's friends in Davenport, IA, they would be hosting me there.