Monday, May 19, 2014

GTD 2014 - Day 16

Chester, IL to Scott City, MO

Flat doesn't always mean better.  This was the lesson learned today.  I left Chester early and enjoyed a bit more of Popeye before exiting town.

I quickly began my ride in the flat, desolate farm land of IL.  After several hours I was ready for a snack break but there were no country stores in sight.  As it got warm I was ready for a cold drink but there were no country stores in sight.

After another hour of frustration I finally eyeballed a country store and made my way to it, what a relief!  I continued down River in the same environment so when I came across a small diner around lunch time, I stopped!  It was awesome, the highlight of the day so far.

I was suppose to stay in IL and make my way to a campground, I chose to cross over the MR into Cape Girardeau.  I love bridges and crossing over rivers.  This was a great bridge!  I got into CG and could not find the Starbucks so I decided just to grab a quick snack and continue on.  Of course I now had to find a new stopping point.

I couldn't find any campgrounds or hotels so I stopped at a convenience store that had a large patch of land that was becoming home to gazebos for an upcoming Flea Market.  I went in and asked if it was ok for me to camp and they said yes.

There was a place to clean up and there was a diner.  I cleaned up and then enjoyed a delicious dinner.  A good finish to a frustrating day.  I settled in for the night and slept well.