Monday, May 30, 2016

GTD 2016 - Day 4

Vero Beach, FL to Miami, FL

When I woke up I felt much better so I was hopeful that today's ride would be much better.  Our hosts treated us to a great breakfast on their screened in porch that overlooked the lake.

My laundry was done so that was a good thing, it's always nice to set out in fresh gear.  We loaded up, thanked our hosts and set out for Starbucks on US 1.  Since today was to be a long day I figured I should load up on caffeine.  I had an awesome Frappucino and let Qinggela know the plan for the day which was to take 1 to West Palm Beach then turn west and begin to work our way to Clint & Sarah's.

After an hour of riding I saw another Starbucks so I decided to reload on caffeine.  I was feeling pretty good so we were making good progress.  Several hours later as the heat intensified I stopped at a store to refill my Camelbak and buy a couple AZ Teas to carry in my rear drink holders. Before resuming my ride I got a note from our friend Renee, she wanted to meet up with us for lunch in West Palm Beach.  I let her know my route and she determined it would be best to meet us at the intersection of Military & Okeechobee.

When we got to the intersection I saw a Buffalo Wild Wings so I told her to meet us there.  Renee and the boys arrived and we enjoyed a great lunch and visit.  During our visit a storm passed through, it was gone by the time we finished PTL!

The rain cooled it down a bit so it was a good time to get going.  From this point on we were on South Florida City roads so there was constant traffic.  This created a bit of a challenge for Qinggela as he went ahead of me and then looked for a good waiting place.  I was riding well and felt good but the day was moving on.  I knew what time Clint would be getting home so I timed out what time I needed to stop and load up.

I was pleased that I was able to log 120 miles by stopping time.  We loaded up and made our way to Clint & Sarah's.  Google Maps made it interesting but we finally figured out the way to their house.  It was so great to see them and spend time with them.  After showering Clint & Sarah prepared a fantastic dinner.  Their kids were great and we were honored to spend the night in the boys room which featured Spider Man sheets and blanket.

After a great visit it was time for the big kids and little kids to get some sleep.  We were so blessed, once again, to have amazing hosts!