Saturday, May 28, 2016

GTD 2016 - Day 2

Apopka, FL to Lake Placid, FL

Since this is a Supported Ride some of the days are quite long.  Yesterday's 90+ mile day to start was ambitious but today's 100+ mile ride was a bit too optimistic.

It started out well riding on the West Orange Trail to Winter Garden where I transitioned to the road. From Winter Garden to ChampionsGate I rode through subdivisions and Winter Garden Village.  It was cool to see ChampionsGate via back road on a bicycle versus I-4 in a car.

After ChampionsGate it wasn't too long before I was directed to Highway 27 south.  After a short time on 27 I decided to get away from traffic so I turned east just a bit to Highway 17.  17 is a 2 lane road but not as much traffic.  It is also very scenic.  After passing through Lake Wales I stopped at First Christian Church in Babson Park.  The minister and one of the elders met Qinggela and me at the church.  This was a great time of fellowship, cold drink & AC!

After Babson Park I rode through Frostproof and then 17 rejoined 27.  By this time of the day I was happy to have the energy of the traffic on 27.  What I was not happy to have was the intense heat of the day.

I made it through Avon Park but as I got into Sebring I was feeling a bit sick from the heat.  I stopped at a convenience store and immediately layed down on the cool pavement.  A few people walking into the store checked on me to see if I was ok.  I assured them I would be.  After a few minutes I got up, went inside the store, enjoyed the AC and got a cold, cold drink.

I called Qinggela and explained to him where I was and that I was finished for the day.  He checked his map and figured out how to get to me.  When he arrived we loaded up and headed to our host home in Lake Placid.

We had a great dinner with our hosts then they treated us to a boat ride on the lake, it was awesome.  After the boat ride we chatted a bit, got squared away on the morning schedule and then hit the hay.

All in all it was a good day and I was already approaching 200 miles for the Trip.  Tomorrow will be church then a 1/2 day ride to Vero Beach.  Looking forward to spending time with our good friends Scott & Peggy in Vero.