Sunday, May 29, 2016

GTD 2016 - Day 3

Lake Placid, FL to Vero Beach, FL

After a great night of rest and breakfast Qinggela and I loaded up and followed Mike & his wife to Eastside Christian Church.

We got visit with some of the members and meet Ray, the Lead Pastor, before Sunday School.  We enjoyed our time and discussion with the Adult SS Class.  Next was the worship hour where I was to share a message about UF CCH and how GTD would bless current and future students who desire to serve on a short term mission trip.  The service and discussion afterwards was good.

After church Mike, his wife and other members took Qinggela and I to lunch, it was great!  After we finished lunch we went back to church and I changed into my cycling gear.  I prepped Qinggela re: the route to Vero Beach and set off.

Immediately I could feel the intense heat and that my body was really tired after 2 long days in the heat.  I seemed to be moving at a snails pace so I decided to change it up and switch to my Touring Bike.  During the switch I got a call from Scott.  Due to a family emergency they would not be able to host us.  Instead we would be staying with one of the Church Elders and his wife.  I made contact with them and they gave me their address.  I let them know where we were and what our estimated ETA was.

I was hoping the bike switch would help but the results were no better.  About 30 miles I realized that there was no way to ride all the way to their house.  In addition to not feeling well, a storm was brewing in Vero Beach.  I let Qinggela know that I would stop at 35 miles.  He went up ahead and waited for me.  I caught up to him, loaded up and contacted our host family to let them know we were on our way.

We arrived at their house and got settled in before cleaning up for dinner.  They took us out to a great dinner!  After dinner and chatting out on the screened in porch we called it a night.  I took some ibuprofen in hopes that it, along with the great dinner and rest to come, would provide better results the next day.

The next day was to be long, Vero Beach to Miami!  I was excited that we would be staying with CCH Gon4ths Clint, Sarah and kids.