Wednesday, January 29, 2020

GTD '20 Illumination

Long distance cycling is not only blue skies and sunshine.  Oftentimes it is overcast, rain, fog, wind, darkness....

For example, when Ben & I cycled down the PCH oftentimes the morning was foggy.  In Minnesota & Wisconsin when riding down the Mississippi River it was dark and rainy.  Riding on the Panhandle of Florida the daily wind was so bad I had to start my ride at 2am when it was calm.

In each of these instances, and many others, it was important that I was visible to the traffic coming from behind or coming my way.  Illumination is of utmost importance!

My Jamis Touring Bike is fitted with a Planet Bike Headlamp and a Bontrager Red Rear Light Blinkie.  My helmet also has a Bontrager Blinkie.  In addition to all of that I wear a Tracer 360 Visibility Vest which acts as a multi colored strobe.

This combination has been effective for me recently as I have commuted from the Campus House to home in the dark.  In my mirror (very important to have) I see oncoming drivers changing lanes early in order to pass safely, what a blessing!

During GTD '20 I am certain that I will be riding in conditions or at times when illumination is of utmost importance, I am confident that I am set up to be seen.

In a few weeks I have a 4 day trip from Orlando to Ft. Pierce and back.  This trip will allow me to simulate a typical GTD '20 day of riding and camping at night.  It will also help me develop a nutritional strategy that will fuel me for 14 days and 1000 miles during GTD '20.  More about that in my next post.

Until then live adventurously & love God!