Thursday, January 23, 2020

GTD ‘20 Navigation

Yesterday was the day to finally figure out how to operate the Turn By Turn Navigation on my Garmin Edge 530.

After watching YouTube videos and reading the DC Rainmaker website I was getting close to having it figured out.  Close truly did not count, I was missing the final step to successful turn by turn navigation.  I mounted my Trek and headed to Gator Cycle to see if Brian was working.  He was!  Brian helped me make some progress with other 530 issues and I had alerted him to the fact that I needed to solve this navigational puzzle sooner than later.

I handed my 530 to Brian and he got to work.  After several minutes of button pushing after I told him my intended destination he handed it back saying it was ready to go.  Before taking it back I had him walk me through the process.  Success!

I left Gator Cycle and rode to The Swamp, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.  Though the turn by turn navigation took me a different way than I would have gone, it got me there.

As I stood in the shadow of The Swamp I realized I now had to go through the process without Brian.     I went into Maps and began to Browse.  I decided to designate home as my destination.  After doing so I held the Select button until I was asked to Confirm my destination.  I Confirmed it and it Calculated mileage and route.  I pushed start and began to follow the route, it worked!

After arriving home I was satisfied that I could check this task off my Trip Prep List.  I know this Turn by Turn Navigation will be extremely beneficial during my GTD ‘20 Ride, especially when navigating my way through larger cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago and Detroit.

Next Task to accomplish is connecting with Bike Shops in Minneapolis and Detroit.  I will need them to build up, break down and ship my bike.

Until then, live adventurously and love God!