Monday, February 25, 2019

GTD '20 Practice Ride

Last Friday I set out on a 2 day Practice Ride for next year's "Go the Distance '20" Fundraising Bike Ride.

The plan as to ride just south of Ocala, FL, to the Shangra La Campground just off the Cross FL Trail.

I woke up to a heavy fog so it was good that I had some things to do at Campus House before setting out.  As I finished up at the Campus House the fog was starting to burn off.    I headed home to pack up a few final things.  Before setting out I had C take a photo.

Before leaving town I stopped at Starbucks for an iced coffee refill.  My Yeti mug keeps my iced coffee cold for hours, awesome!  After Starbucks I ducked into Lloyd Clark Sports to buy some GU Energy Gels, the temperature was projected to be in the mid 80s both days so I wanted to be prepared for cramping.

Shopping was done so it was time to get going to Ocala.  I was on 441 south so I rode with a lot of traffic as I passed UF, Archer Rd., SW 16th & Williston Rd.  After Williston Road the traffic lightened but the road debris was terrible.  A light fog was still hanging over Paynes Prairie so it was picturesque.

The plan was to stop for lunch at Sam's St. John Seafood on the corner of 441 & 326.  The ride there was scenic as I entered into horse country.  It was starting to heat up so I stopped for a cold Diet Dr. Pepper before lunch.  Our favorite Server Beth was working so she knew my order, the AYCE Fish Special!  As usual it was awesome and I was satisfied.

I continued down 441 for a bit and then turned west just before Ocala, this would enable me to get to 200 west which would take me to Starbucks before Shangra La.  200 was a bit busy but with 3 lanes cars were able to give me plenty of room.  Road debris on 200 was worse than 441.

When I got to Starbucks I was hot & tired.  If not for a GU and extra shot of espresso in my FREE Frappuccino I probably would have stopped and gotten a hotel room.  Fortunately the combination energized me and I headed to the Campground.  On the way I passed SW Christian Church, they are great friends of UF CCH!

I arrived at Shangra La, checked in and went to Campsite #2.  I leaned my rig (bike & trailer) against the picnic table, got my shower stuff and set out for the Shower Facility.  The shower felt so good!  Since I was just off the Cross FL Trail there were many people camping who were riding the Trail on their horses, I love horses!

After showering I set up my tent, blew up my air mattress, got out my sleeping bag and pillow.  I had a Protein Bar for dinner, checked internet stuff and then fell sleep.  I slept till 6:30am!

I woke up to a beautiful sunrise.  I quickly broke down camp and started riding at 7:15am.  1 hour later I was back at Starbucks on 200.  I enjoyed an Egg & Cheese Box for breakfast along with another FREE Frappuccino.  I charged up all my devices and set out for home.

I turned up a 2 lane country road that I would ride all the way to Orange Lake.  This is the same road my brother David raced on a couple of years ago so I already knew the lay of the land.

I was hot again so I stopped to apply sunscreen and purchase a cold drink.  The ride into Gainesvlle was good, I felt much stronger than the day before.  It wasn't till 5 miles before home that I felt a cramp coming on in my right hamstring.  I stopped for a GU then finished up my ride.  Once I got home I threw all of my clothes in the washer, showered then unpacked some things.

All in all it was a good first Practice Ride.  No tough situations other than the heat.  The Rig performed wonderfully.  The weather for camping was great.  My new air mattress afforded me a great night's sleep.

Looking forward to my next Practice Ride!  Nothing is set in stone but there is the possibility of riding to Jacksonville in May to talk with the Elementary kids at Englewood CC about my Bike Trips, what is needed for the Trips and how God provides for the Trips and during the Trips.

I will keep you posted.  Peace!  Bob