Thursday, May 18, 2023

GTD '22 The Ride

 THE TREK TO PENSACOLA

Sunday, May 15, 2022
Brad and I loaded up our bikes and gear, we were ready to head to Pensacola to begin GTD '22 The Ride.  Thiago are driver was excited about delivering us to Pensacola, eyeballing Pensacola Beach and returning home.  

The drive was uneventful till just outside of Pensacola when a terrible storm broke out.  Hard rain, wind, lightening, hail...it was very unnerving for Thiago as well as us.  We found a place off the Interstate to shelter from the hail for a bit.  After the hail ceased, we made our way into Pensacola to our hotel.  Thiago helped us unload and get to our room then he set out to spend the night with relatives.  

Brad and I made heads and tails of all our stuff and loaded up as much as possible so that we could set out after the sun woke up the next morning.  The night before the start of a Ride is a restless night because of everything that is running through your mind.  All in all it was a decent nights rest.

Monday, May 16, 2022
Day 1 of any GTD Ride is putting into practice everything that was practiced during training.  We woke up early and decided that the Starbucks next to the hotel would be our breakfast, THANKS to everyone who blesses my GTD Rides with Starbucks Cards!  We got a breakfast item and iced coffee.  We took a photo or two then headed south on 98 to Pensacola Beach.  The bridge from Pensacola to Gulf Breeze was awesome, I love riding bridges and along the water.  Another shorter bridge led us to Pensacola Beach where Thiago surprised us.  He was waiting in the Pensacola Beach Parking Lot as we approached, he wanted to see us before he headed back to Gainesville.  We chatted a bit then carried on with our journeys.

It was energizing riding along the Gulf on 399.  We went through the Gulf Islands National Seashore, there is nothing there except the ocean, dunes, birds....  Before crossing over the Santa Rosa Sound on 399 we stopped at Tom Thumb for some cold fluids.  We crossed the Sound and headed east on 98.

For lunch we decided to stop in Mary Esther to eat and enjoy a hydromassage at Planet Fitness.  The hydromassage was awesome, the lunch options at the Santa Rosa Mall Food Court were limited so we got a little something and continued our trek to Miramar Beach.

Riding through Destin is always exciting as the traffic picks up.  Fortunately, the bike lane is decent.  Brad decided he needed some gloves so we made our way to Robin's Bikes & Fitness, what a great shop with great people.  Brad bought some gloves then we headed to our hotel.  After checking in and cleaning up we went downstairs for dinner.  After dinner we looked at the Route for the next day and called it a night.  Day 1 went well PTL!

Tuesday, May 17, 2022
We were excited for Day 2 until I realized I had a flat tire.  I had the tools and tubes so no worries right?  I had never changed a flat on my Salsa, wow!  It was so difficult to get the tire off and on after inserting a new tube.  I began to inflate with a CO2 and I realized I hadn’t gotten the tube situated in the tire right.  It pinched and went flat.

I realized I would need to go to Robin’s and seek help.  Robin is amazing!  These tires are extremely difficult to deal with but he has great experience.  He put in a new tube and gave me some tips if this should happen again.

I let Brad know I was on my way back so he was ready to roll to Lynn Haven once I loaded up.

It was another day of riding along the Gulf.  As we entered popular areas for tourists the car and foot traffic picked up.  We stopped for lunch at a popular street market, it took awhile to get food.  Due the late start I was feeling some pressure because we had dinner plans w/ Marc, Luci & Andrea.

The ride through Seaside, Laguna Beach and Panama City Beach were nice but busy.  Once we crossed the bridge into Panama City on our way to Lynn Haven we were immersed in city traffic which was fine when we had a bike lane.  The last few miles to Marc’s we were without a bike lane, it was a bit tight at tines.  I finally could relax when we turned into his subdivision.  We timed it just right, we met Marc at the Gate.

We got to the house, got settled, got cleaned up and then headed out to dinner.  It was great to see Andrea again, Josh stayed home on kid duty.

After dinner we slept like babies!   

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

After a couple of days of good riding Brad decided to not only ride but drive Support.  After an awesome breakfast Marc took Brad to pick up a rental vehicle and I started pedaling toward Mexico Beach where we could connect with family for an early lunch.  The ride out of Lynn Haven was much nicer than the ride in, I will remember this route for future rides into Lynn Haven.

After a resupply stop I began the ride through Tyndall AFB, it was awesome!  I got to see all kinds of planes doing all kinds of maneuvers.  As much as I enjoy the airshow each time I ride through I know that no services are available till leaving the Base.  I entered Mexico Beach and found Larry & Sherry outside the Coffee Shop.  Brad had just arrived so it was perfect timing for coffee, muffins and fellowship.

After visiting for a bit and being spoiled by Larry & Sherry it was time to pedal toward Apalachicola.  Brad and I made a plan for the afternoon.  He would go ahead of me for a bit and then with about 20 miles to ride he would go park at the hotel and ride back to meet me and ride into Apalachicola.  The plan worked well and I was happy to have company the final 5-10 miles, I was feeling a bit tired.

After checking in and cleaning up we went out for an awesome dinner in the quaint Apalachicola downtown area.  Tomorrow we will leave the coast and head inland to Tallahassee.

Thursday, May 19, 2022

I knew today was going to be a long, challenging ride into Tallahassee so I started out around 5am.  The ride across the East Bay in the moonlight was spectacular.  Once in Eastpoint I found a convenience store and grabbed some breakfast.  This morning would be the last time I rode along the coast till Cocoa Beach so I soaked it in.  

As much as I missed riding along the coast the ride up 319 was nice, until 20 miles outside of Tallahassee.  It was getting hot and hilly.  I stopped for fluids and a shot of Protein before hitting the roller coaster into Tally.  Brad went on to park at the hotel and caught up with me at Dunkin in Tally, I was enjoying AC and a Refresher.  

The last 20 miles were brutal so I was so happy to see the long downhill on 90 that would take us right to the hotel.  I knew that after a rough afternoon I would be ready to get off the bike, clean up and find some awesome food to refuel for tomorrow's ride to Live Oak.  All tasks were accomplished and a good night's sleep was had by all.

Friday, May 20, 2022

Today's ride on 90 was a repeat of a couple of other GTD days so I knew what was to come.  Lots of countryside and small towns that included a climb up to the center point of each town.  The ride on 90 through Monticello, Greenville and Madison is one of my favorites in the state.  I knew that I would hit the McDonalds in Madison for lunch, it was where I sat out a bad thunder and lightening storm during GTD '08.

Brad caught up with me just after daylight so I let him know about the plan for lunch.  Before lunch though I made a Dollar General (DG) stop in Greenville.  It's so awesome to have so many DGs in small towns that I cycle through.  We met up at McDonalds for lunch then I began the push to Live Oak.  After Brad parked at the hotel and rode back to me we realized that a storm was brewing and we would need to push it to get to the hotel before it broke loose.  We made it just in time!  Shortly after checking in the heavens opened up, we were happy to be safe inside.

The storm passed so we checked out a Steakhouse that was new to me, it was awesome.  After dinner we chatted about the next day's Plan.  Brad would have to go on early to return the vehicle to the Rental Company in Gainesville.  Before doing so he would have to transition all of our stuff from the Rental to his truck.  

Saturday, May 21, 2022

Today's ride to Gainesville was also a GTD repeat ride.  I knew there wasn't much between Live Oak and Lake City other than a convenience store stop to resupply.  In Lake City I would use my Starbucks Card for food and drink.  After that I would ride 441 into Gainesville.  

Brad transitioned everything to his truck and returned the Rental.  When he met up with me on 441 I told him that I wanted to introduce him to Conestogas in Alachua, it would be an epic lunch stop.  Until then I would enjoy the countryside ride down 441 and through High Springs.  We met up in the parking lot across from Conestogas and enjoyed a great lunch.

My mileage was good so after lunch I decided to ride in the truck with Brad to my house.  Once there I greeted C and began the process of unloading my stuff from Brad's truck, he would be heading out to meet up with his family for some well deserved R&R in FL.  I would stay home for a few days to make sure C was taken care of and then set out for south Florida.  I was looking forward to the time with C, time off the bike and taking care of preparations for the next leg of the GTD '22 journey.

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

After a few days of making sure C was set and I was prepared for the second half of my Ride I set out for The Villages.  After a Starbucks stop I continued down 13th St. which is 441.  After passing UF there are a mix of businesses and mostly local hotels before Paynes Prairie.  Paynes Prairie is a really nice ride now that road construction is complete.  The new asphalt is awesome as is the extended bike lane.  I always enjoy spotting gators, birds, wild horses....  After Paynes Prairie it's a mix of countryside and small towns until The Villages.  This allows for resupply as needed.  

I arrived at the hotel and contacted the Jenkins from Fairway CC to see what plans were in place for the evening.  Dinner at a Mexican Restaurant and visitation was on the Agenda.  Morgan is an avid bike rider so she was interested in the Ride and I was interested in their upcoming RV Trip West.  We had a great dinner and time of visitation before returning back to the hotel.  Tomorrow I will continue down 441 to Apopka and stay at my mom's house.

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

I rested well so I was ready to hit the road early.  I stopped at the Starbucks on the way out of The Villages for breakfast.  I knew the Route well so I had in mind where I would stop for lunch and what Starbucks were along the way so I could enjoy some iced coffee.

Passing through Lady Lake and Fruitland Park seems to take no time at all but Leesburg seems to take forever!  The upside to Leesburg is the abundance of everything.  The Starbucks just past the College is always a good caffein refueling spot.  There are some decent ups and downs going past Mount Dora before the final mostly flat stretch through Zellwood which leads into Apopka.   Zellwood always brings to mind the Sweet Corn Festival we attended years back, great food and entertainment.

Once in Downtown Apopka it's not much further to mom's.  She is always relieved when I arrive safely, which I did.  We grabbed some dinner after I cleaned up and then spent some time on the Route to Cocoa Beach, it looks as though I will be offroad some.  Looking forward to that!

Thursday, May 26, 2022