Thursday, May 28, 2020

GTD '20 Report Part 1

Due to the Coronavirus my GTD '20 Fundraising Bike Ride shifted from Minnesota to Detroit to Florida.  This shift created by the virus shifted the way that GTD '20 would unfold.



In Part 1 of GTD '20 I will share about my Prep Rides that helped me refine my equipment set up and the gear that I would be hauling.

My Prep Rides took me around Gainesville and through a lot of neighborhoods.  Neighborhoods allow you to cover more mileage close to home.  They also introduce you to areas in your community that you might never venture into in a car.

I was blessed to Social Distance visit with Jon & Julie Peine (and kids) as well as Ben & Kyra Ketnick (and kids) on two of my Prep Rides, that was cool.







In one neighborhood I came across a family that was All In in regards to the Gators.  So much so that they have installed 2 goalposts in their front yard along with some other Gator decorations.

In Turkey Creek it seemed as though I rode forever weaving in and out of different styles of neighborhood, very nice.  I noticed while riding in Turkey Creek that their Golf Course was open, I think a Tee Time awaits my friend and me.

Several of my Prep Rides landed me at the Publix or Dollar General looking for the much coveted Virus Supplies such as Clorox Wipes, Charmin, Bounty, Hand Sanitizer....  Several grocery runs and supply drop offs to Daniel and Scott were included in my Prep Rides.



The Prep Rides accomplished their purposes, the first had to do with set up and equipment.  I decided that I would still pull my BOB Trailer but eliminate my 2 front bags.  I also decided to change out my all inclusive rear panniers with a rear rack top bag for the 2 front bags that would now rest on my rear rack.  Finally I decided to use my soft BOB Bag instead of the big plastic bin.


                                  

The second purpose accomplished had to do with physical readiness and confidence.  After participating in an early January Half Distance Triathlon and a few 5k's the virus reared its ugly head and shut down all other races.  At the start of the Shelter at Home Order my local pool was shut down so needless to say my training took a hit as did my fitness level (I love to snack while stuck at home).

After some time we started to get a better understanding of what Sheltering at Home meant and didn't mean.  At that point I started my Prep Rides and my early rides were not encouraging.  I wasn't quite sure why I was struggling so I tinkered with my set up, my gear, my supplements....  Through it all I wasn't confident that my goal of 65-75 miles a day was realistic.  Therefore, as I thought through the GTD '20 Route, I planned a bit conservative.  Instead of 65-75 miles a day I would shoot for 55-65 miles a day knowing that there would be a few 70+ mile days that I would have to push through.

As I look back at my Prep Rides I now can say that they did prepare me for what was to come when GTD '20 launched.

In Part 2 of GTD '20 I will share about a few local and regional rides that I did before setting out for south Florida.

Until then, love God & live adventurously!  bob